1. Unfinished business:
Much of the evenings discussions centered around our Focus for the coming year.
* Member skills were discussed
* How do we proceed for the coming year.
* Economic and Social equality by using education seemed to be our central theme.
* Should we establish work groups and then pick projects or vise versa.
* Our main thrust for the past year was supposed to be the MTA movement but Allen thinks that it has been put on the back burner.
* Overall our current WORKER database is small and it is hard to do everything we think we must do effectively.
* Should we dedicate specific members to chair Publicity, Membership, Projects, etc.
* Good points were raised but no firm consensus reached. Discussion will continue next meeting. Please come and help to FOCUS our FOCUS!
* New member Ann voiced concern that she did not get a clear view of what our group does and expressed the notion a member brochure might be appropriate. We’ve discussed this before. I would be willing to coordinate this.
2. September Meet and Greet: Planned for Sat. Sept. 26th at the Morgan Pavilion in the Deep Creek park in Bryson City. Amy, who was coordinating this event has left the group so Janice, Garrett and Joan will finalize this event.
3. A McDonalds drive thru to bring attention to the low wages paid is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 14th, to be coordinated by Garrett.
4. Meeting location: Starting with the 2nd Tues. of September we will meet at the Dogwood Wellness Center in Dillsboro at 114 W. Hemlock St. 28725.
Phone # 828-586-6262. Thank you Ann for procuring this site.
5. No Treasurers report as Geraldine was not in attendance.
6. Solarize WNC: There will be a celebration at 2pm, Sat. Aug 1 at Innovation Brewing in Sylva. Members of Solarize WNC and Clean Energy for NC will be on hand with information.
7. The NAACP Humanitarian Awards will take place on Sun. Sept. 27th in Dillsboro. For more info go to jacksonncnaacp.org.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45
Respectfully submitted, Joan Palmroos